Click here to sign the no2id pledge

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Reading matter

Have not been able to post due to an attack of evil flu. Not the bird variety (but just to cheer you up, it is coming).

Anyway, while I try to get my brain back into shape by drinking huge quantities of fluids and wait for my body to stop aching, I thought I could at least point in the direction of some reading matter.

Rendering the name of Seoul in Chinese characters sounds like a rather arcane business, but it's obviously a matter that has deep political meaning hiding just under the surface. Antti Leppänen has written a very comprehensive post on South Korea's proposed new Chinese name for Seoul. Kirk Larsen also weighs in with some thoughts.

Antti also introduced us to this great Korean stencil artist, who put me in mind of the brilliant Banksy. If you still think that stencils are all about cheap house makeover programmes circa 1999 then check out stencil revolution, which I found via the excellently named Apostate Windbag.

3 Comments:

At January 28, 2005 6:41 AM, Blogger Antti Leppänen said...

Thanks for the plugs. (Isn't this what they say when someone links to one's blog? That's not really part of my active English vocabulary...)

I think I've been following the Seoul renaming process mainly because when I made the first post about the matter back in March 2004, the Language Hat himself made a link to the entry; I still get hits through the Language Hat posting, as people have been searching about the name change a lot lately.

And for the flu: blackcurrant juice, made of the berries, drunk as hot as possible. But perhaps that remedy is known in the UK as well.

 
At January 28, 2005 10:08 AM, Blogger Owen said...

Yes, 'blog plugging' has a certain ring about it doesn't it? The kind of phrase that could never have existed 3 or 4 years ago.

Thanks for the flu tip. The Nordic countries seem to have an abundance of currants and berries, but here they're harder to come by. Blueberries have recently become fashionable as a 'superfood' (which reminds me of the frequent Korean healthfood crazes). I'm definitely feeling considerably better today, but I'll keep an eye out for blackcurrants.

Btw, did you receive the call for papers for the SOAS conference? I see that you are coming for the AKSE conference, so maybe two trips to the UK will be a bit too much.

 
At January 28, 2005 10:36 AM, Blogger Antti Leppänen said...

Yes, I got the call for papers for the SOAS conference, but it looks like I'll be attending AKSE, if I'm going to make even that. By the way, this is the second time someone tells me having seen my name among the AKSE 2005 participants; I've received the announcement about the selection, but where did you get the info about other participants?

Hot blackcurrant juice is the standard non-medicine remedy here for the flu. Look for concentrated juice sold in glass bottles. In my present thesis-writing phase I really shouldn't give an impression of a person with too much time in his hands, but a blog mate in flu is a different matter: this is a UK product.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home