Click here to sign the no2id pledge

Friday, July 01, 2005

Service announcements

A couple of things: first, blogging may be very light over the next week or so as the AKSE conference has finally arrived (woohoo, a whole week of undiluted Korean studies) and I will be in Sheffield next week, where I hear the internet is almost unheard of. Who knows, perhaps Antti and I will live-blog the proceedings of the conference (but somehow I doubt it).

Second, I've been trying out a new bloghost that uses wordpress software. Wanted to set this up on my own webspace but I'm not enough of a techie to handle it so I'm using the handy blogsome. I'm not sure whether to go with this yet and I've got quite used to blogger. On the other hand wordpress is much nicer to use and has features I've been hankering after like categories (how cool is it that they get picked up straight away by technorati). So I'd be interested to know what people think, should I cut the blogger apron strings? Comments welcome here or there. (Of course that last sentence only works if you're reading this post on blogger... confusing business having two blogs).

Finally, good luck to anyone who's heading up to Scotland to fight the power. Sorry I can't be there.

5 Comments:

At July 01, 2005 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll be arriving in Manchester at 15.15 on Monday, and we hope to catch the train which is in Sheffield at 17.08, so I should be there before the registration time ends. Hey, in case I need to get a quick word there (flight delay or something), why not leaving me (antti.leppanen at helsinki.fi) your handphone (sic) number?

I see you express doubt concerning online facilities there, but perhaps it's just good for us to be unconnected for a moment...

 
At July 01, 2005 4:29 PM, Blogger Owen said...

Ok, I'll mail you.

My concern about online facilities was meant somewhat ironically. I expect that Yorkshire has by now become part of the cyberworld ;-)

And it will be good to be away from the internet, blogs etc for a while, breathing in the fresh air of real human discourse.

 
At July 06, 2005 4:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two enjoy the conference! It is indeed nice to be offline for a while.

As for blogger vs. wordpress (blogsome), I too am a blogspot defector and happy to be using wordpress. I did try out blogsome (your site there looks great with that banner!) but it seemed to have more down time than blogger.

 
At July 17, 2005 8:01 AM, Blogger dotorious said...

I've been checking out WordPress, too! And I'll probably switch from Blogger as well. Same reasons as what you mentioned: categories (!) and more sophisticated features like site search and better link management. I'm not sure about hosting at Blogsome, though -- I'm going to try to install WordPress on my school server. The only caveat is that I've fallen in love with ecto and I hear it doesn't work so well with Blogsome/WordPress. I'm still looking into that one.

FYI, I've fooled around with more full-on CMS (e.g. Drupal, Plone, phpNuke) and poked around other blogware (e.g. MovableType). But if a compulsive comparison shopper (a kindred spirit!) found WordPress to be the best option after drawing up this crazy-helpful chart, I say that settles it.

 
At July 17, 2005 10:48 PM, Blogger Owen said...

I'm afraid I can't deal with the techie stuff myself so I'll probably stick with blogsome for the timebeing. Still not sure whether to finish with this blogger version though. I'm not so much a compulsive comparison shopper as an indecisive shopper so it looks like I'll have two blogs for a while.

Anyhow, I might have to check out this Ecto thing as it sounds quite good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home